The World Within Reach: Berlin
Berlin thrives on its historical and cultural diversity and countless nationalities live here and make this city a home. This minimap highlights a small selection of the international treasuries found in Berlin Kreuzberg and Neukölln. It will bring you from Lebanon to Turkey and from Hipster-Land to India – all within walking distance.
Join us on a tour to 7 selected international treasuries found in the heart of Berlin, Kreuzberg and Neukölln. Perfect for a day full of discoveries.
Free to download and ready to print!
1. Al-Pasha. Breakfast. Berlin thrives on its historical and cultural diversity and countless nationalities live here and make this city a home. This minimap highlights a small selection of the international treasuries found in Berlin Kreuzberg and Neukölln. It will bring you from Lebanon to Turkey and from Hipster-Land to India – all within walking distance.
2. Türkischer Markt & Stoffmarkt Neukölln. Market. A stroll through the bustling fabric market is part of a typical Saturday for us. Apart from fabric suppliers there are countless designers, makers and artists selling their goods in between selected food stalls. It’s a great place to buy affordable fabrics and haberdashery for the makers among you – with a bit of rummaging you’ll find real treasures. On Tuesdays and Fridays, the same stretch along the Maybachufer turns into the bustling Turkish produce market.
3. Katie’s Blue Cat. Coffee Time. Treat yourself to a break at Katie’s Blue Cat, not far from the lower end of the market. They serve the most amazing flavorful yet mild coffee and the cakes and bagels are pieces of heaven made from regional ingredients. The blue painted walls and the cosy yet busting atmosphere of a busy café make it the perfect place for a stopover.
4. Klunkerkranich. Apéro. You get off the U-Bahn at Rathaus Neukölln, cross the street to the Arcaden shopping center and take the lift to the top floor: welcome to Hipster-land. The Klunkerkranich is a lovely decorated roof-top garden and the perfect place to enjoy a long summer evening over Berlin, topped off by a kitschy sunset.
5. ammAmma. Dinner. After looking for a place South Indian food for what seemed like forever, we finally found this small corner restaurant at Urbanstraße. At ammAmma you can taste all kinds of authentic Tamil dishes – no Europeanized creamy sauces, promise. We recommend to try the Dosa, a crispy omelet made from fermented rise and lentils, filled with a potato curry, served with a hot soup and coconut chutney. Indian Heaven.
6. Miss Saigon. Dinner. There are countless Vietnamese restaurants in Berlin, but few are as delicious as Miss Saigon’s South Vietnamese Cuisine. Located on the bustling Görlitzer Bahnhof, is is always busy and a great place for outdoor dinners. Their menu includes a broad range of traditional dishes –vegetarian or vegan too – and you can’t go wrong with any of them. For those with a sweet tooth, we recommend a Vietnamese espresso with sweet condensed milk as dessert.
7. Würgeengel. Drinks. After a tiring day of strolling around Berlin Kreuzberg treat yourself with a cosy atmosphere and some top notch booze. Located right behind the always busy “Kottbusser Tor” in peaceful Dresdnerstraße the “gagging angel’s” barkeepers will serve you with what you need to kick-start your night out in the most delightful manner. Try the whiskey sour and stay for the earl gray gin!
Are you ready to discover the wonderful diversity of the cosmopolitan Berlin.
Download your minimap here.
1. Nina & Veit.
2. Projekt Klunkernderklanich via Facebook.
3 & 4. Nina & Veit.
Cover photo: The much missed classic East / West side guys by Blu and JR.
Photo name: kreuzberg by Karin Viva via Flickr with Creative Commons License.